It looks like Azeroth is not going to be the only aspect of WoW that’s destroyed in Cataclysm. The developers just announced in the Class, Items, and Profession panel that half of WoW’s stats are getting tossed out the window. Here’s the breakdown:
* Attack Power on gear is gone. Instead, some classes will get 2 AP from each point of Agi (Rogues, Hunters, Shamans, Druids), and other classes (presumably Warriors, Paladins, and Death Knights) will get 2 AP per point of Strength. Side effect: no more plate wearers stealing your gear
* Spell Power is gone. It comes from Int now.
* MP5 is gone. Spirit is the mana regen stat, and all classes that need it will get some form of Meditation. (Hunters, never fear – you don’t use mana any more. More on this in a separate post.)
* Armor Penetration is gone. That one was just confusing.
* Defense is gone. Tanks are now defense-capped from talents, like Druid tanks.
* Haste now increases your rate of resource regeneration (mana, energy, rage, runes, focus).
* Block Value is gone, but blocks now mitigate a percentage of damage.
* Stamina is going to be more equal across different armor types – no more “plate HP envy.”
Whew, those are some massive changes. I’m very much in favor of this sort of streamlining; the number of stats in game was getting a bit silly. This back-to-basics approach is refreshing. It’s going to take some balancing, sure, but I think it’s the right way to go.
I for one am enjoying this idea of simplifying stats. Some people were telling me more agility and some said more Attack power. Even though currently, I get from +1 Agility I get +1 Attack Power plus some dodge and armor.